5.04.2011

a friendly reminder

This morning "Dave" from the Salvation Army 'drop-off zone' told me that in the six months he'd worked there nobody had ever taken the time to ask his name. I just laughed and told him I was certain no one in the last month was quite the regular like me. He smiled, but I could see he was touched and it was in that split-second that I had a little 'aha moment'. To just take a little more time with people. To be genuine. Show some kindness. And to ask questions and listen. 

You see, yesterday I had the most lovely African woman strike up a conversation with me and at the time I was just so caught up in what I was doing. I was so not in the mood to talk, let alone listen. And the worst part about it was she could tell. Later on in the day after everything I'd set out to do had been done, I even confessed to Brad how terrible I felt about it.  

So this is just a friendly reminder to you sweet Jenne that things always have a way of getting done. Boxes will get packed all in due time. Mini-vans will get detailed. Fridges scrubbed. (Fingers crossed Sarah.) But most importantly in the grand scheme of things... none of that stuff matters. It really doesn't. 

Thirty-two and still learning. You gotta' love it.

4 comments:

  1. i loved this. honest and right from the heart. it was good for me to read and i know tonight i will re read it again. thanks for sharing jenne. it's always great to see and feel a little of your heart.
    you're a great person.
    amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice self realization!! you just get better and better woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my darling sister, jenne. you're too hard on yourself love - your worst may just be anothers' best. i love that sensitive, thoughtful heart of yours. xoxo. joe

    ReplyDelete
  4. your heart? so so lovely and gorgeous. it shows to all, little missy. and we love that about you!

    ReplyDelete